Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Walkabout Columbia


I had a great experience on my walkabout. I also had the opportunity to take my bike on her maiden voyage. The first stop was Chong's, which I had never been to. I was reminded of my childhood going to asian markets with my mom. It smelled of livestock and dried squid immediately upon entry. I skimmed the aisles quickly at first anticipating the many items I have not seen in a while. Then I browsed again once more, this time slowly, trying to see if there was something I had not seen before in other stores. I took my time, pacing and wandering the aisles, then realized this was not the best of ideas. I was the only one in the store that was not speaking in a language besides English, I had a huge backpack on, and was beginning to think the workers suspected something. I ended making a few childhood favorite purchases (strawberry bubblegum made in to spheres in individual boxes, reusable chopsticks, and shrimp crackers).


My next stop was the bus station. People were just beginning to arrive when I got there, so I did not feel as noticeable. The people who arrived stood around chain smoking for the most part, and did not speak to anyone else (unless they had come with others). I got distracted by a grasshopper frantically running around in circles. It looked as if som
eone had stepped on one of its hind legs, breaking it off completely. I watch for a while at the helpless bug, obviously at a loss for what to do. After a few minutes he stopped
running and became very still. I wondered what our lives would be like if we were not able to go to a hospital for a medical problem like this, or even anything slighter. To some people an injured leg is not much of a concern at all. Then I wondered, what if grasshoppers had these same capabilities? What if they had built hospitals, and transportation, and knew how to cure ailments...






No comments:

Post a Comment