Thursday, October 21, 2010

What does your soul look like?

There is an idea that I have had in my head for most of my life, thanks to the book Walk Two Moons, which I read when I was in elementary school. In the story, the kids' teacher makes them sit down on the floor with a piece of paper and a pencil and tells them they have 30 seconds to do what he is about to tell them. He gets ready to start the timer and says: Draw your soul. He presses the button.
I have always been so curious what people would draw. I want to perform this experiment, by asking several people to do this exact experiment. I think I would give them a minute though. I think I want to do about 50 people, if possible, to see all the differences, and maybe stranger- the similarities.
What do you guys think?

Here is something that I think is very cool, and relates to what we have been talking about it class:
http://www.fecalface.com/SF/index.php/good-stuff/2255-bodies-in-urban-spaces
What a great use of bodies.


1 comment:

  1. I like your idea ("Draw Your Soul"), though I wonder if you would be giving people enough content/context to really think and respond to this question. But, then again, that might be the point. You might try a small "trial run" with yourself and a few friends and see what results you get. It seems important to think about and control/change the space/place/mood that you create within which people do this "exercise" / respond to your prompt (check out the Marina trailer!). In other words, how would people respond if you created a very solemn, calm, beautiful space/mood which they would enter ceremonially versus catching people on the street on their way to work...?

    There is something really quite beautiful about the "Bodies in Urban Spaces"... Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete