Friday, February 11, 2011

Nilalapo nakuota wewe



Darwin’s Nightmare is a documentary by Hubert Sauper that essentially examines globalization of Tanzania. It begins by giving an explanation of the Victorian Perch fishing industry in Mwanza, Tanzania. This leads to the examination of the cargo planes what they may be importing to Africa before the main export of the Victorian Perch. Through investigation of the fisheries and industry Sauper tells us the story of Tanzania’s people who are most affected by this major export. We see the children who’s families are non existent due to the AIDs epidemic, prostitutes benefit from the business of the cargo pilots and some of the fisherman, and other participants in the business and governmental aspects of Tanzania’s export. The overall tone of the documentary is quite solemn and leaves the audience feeling hopeless yet sure of what Sauper’s intent was, to tell us the important, unheard tale of Tanzania and the Victorian Lake.

I understand Suaper’s full intent with this film, to educate the importers of African materials their effect on the people of Tanzania. As a documentarian I was slightly saddened by the lack of a call to action at the end of the film. I want to know why Sauper decided to make a politically examinating doc and not giving the viewer something to do to change the situation. The article “Can A Film Change the World?” discusses the ability that some movies have to make “advocates out of supporters” which Darwin’s Nightmare has caused me to want to support and effort for change. I think, “I could quit eating fish- but I already am a vegetarian and don’t like fish anyways.” I also think, “I could drop everything to help education about AIDs or to educate the women and street children about how to be self reliable and participate in the world as a working citizen.” Then again I start to think about how helpless things are, how it isn’t my fault and how I am super lucky because I live in America and it shouldn’t be my responsibility because I didn’t tell that scientist in 1960 to fuck up the Victorian Lake with a carnivorous species of fish.

Beyond my own feelings of helplessness as well as others I am sure, I wonder about the things Sauper didn’t tell us. I understand that this is a glimpse into a part of Tanzania so I did a little more research, I looked at Mwanza Women Development Association and what their mission statement is on helping the women of Mwanza. It apparently has been in place since 1997, but Sauper didn’t want us to see that, he wanted us to see the negative things about globalization, why?

Sauper chose his subjects as “characters” for the film there is discussion about this in Ruby Rich’s article “Darwin’s Man in Africa” about how Sauper is spending time, getting to know his interviewees for 2 years previous to the filming, making them comfortable with him. I understand this is a very smart move for a touching close documentary, wise in my opinion, yet I feel by him fictionalizing them it turns the documentary into something else. The film is educational, yet it is fictional, it is truly Saupers view, yet it makes me feel something, it is frustrating to me.

I am seeing from the readings that journalists and critics have their own opinions on how the movie is great as a documentary but share my feelings of hopelessness, I just wonder if other viewers who aren’t sensitive to the plight of exploitation and the effects of globalization are affected in a similar why? I understand Tanzanian officials were upset at this negative portrayal, as we see in the movie they don’t like thing that focus on the negative such as the video about the failing ecosystem of Lake Victoria. I want to know if my fellow peers are going look into what they eat now that they have seen a glimpse into the lives of people who are directly affected by globalization and the negative sides of trade.

A new term:

Hubris- Hubris often indicates being out of touch with reality and overestimating one's own competence or capabilities, especially for people in positions of power.


Editing note:

Within further discussion with my sig-o I came to notice I am possibly looking at this film in the wrong aspect. Maybe I am not to do anything about the situation, it is just my white quilt, my need for my "it is all about me" ideas. We are lucky people, we don't have to deal with the kind of horror the people of Tanzania and Africa have to. Maybe by being in arms at Sauper I am asking too much from him. Some times there isn't much you can do about a situation except from learn from it. Maybe with seeing Darwin's Nightmare I am supposed to learn about the effects of Globalization on a country, it's economy, ecology, and people. By viewing the effects of current colonization and globalization on nations, we as a people can look into changing the way we incorporate and trade with countries. American's have it great because we made our selves great, taking this into considerations maybe we should leave other nations alone and don't think of them as "uncivilized" needing us to fix the problems that arise, also we should not allow corporations to exploit these people, which is a different discussion in and of itself.

1 comment:

  1. My comment went over the word limit so I turned my response into a blog itself. My response is titled "Nilalapo nakuota wewe Response- I talk to much as usual"

    Thanks for having such a stimulating blog!

    ReplyDelete