Saturday, December 12, 2009

La Vie Sur Terre

I thought La Vie Sur Terre was a really beautiful film.  The title is a bit deceptive.  A title like Life on Earth suggests a film that is very deep and enlightening- perhaps an exploration of the meaning of life.  Instead, the film is exactly what it sounds like.  It just shows people going about their daily lives.  I really enjoyed the photographer- he was my favorite character.  I also noticed that we never actually see him snap a picture.  We see him setting things up and posing people several times, but the shot cuts away before he actually takes the photo.  I thought this absence was rather refreshing because it seems common to use the taking of photos as a way to break from the flow of reality.  Something that would be difficult to incorporate might be revealed in a photo.  The plot was very small and I barely noticed it.  I think it almost distracted me at times because it seemed like something was going to happen in the main plot, but it never did.  I think I would love this film even more if I watched it again.  That way I could watch it knowing not to expect of focus on the plot.

Word: Nollywood-
When I looked up more about Nollywood I found that it has a website at nollywood.com that looks a lot like youtube.  I also found a documentary about Nollywood called This is Nollywood.  The film's website says "Storytelling lies at the heart of African culture- and now it's digital."

No comments:

Post a Comment