Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Happy Times

Zhang Yimou has made a variety of films with different themes and genres. He’s made some films with universal themes such as Hero and House of Flying Daggers. Films such as these have been shown internationally and have done very well. But he also makes films for his own homeland and I respect that very much.

Happy Times is a film that deals with issues in China but it is told in such a way that the issues are more subtle and now thrown in your face. I realized this story is more about the characters then anything else and I see these characters in China who are very similar to people here in America. It brings the world a little closer to me, giving me the mindset that even though people may have different languages and customs all people are essentially the same in mind and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment