Saturday, September 5, 2009

Word Study: Dadaism & Eliding

While doing the reading, I came across these words from the essay I chose, and the first one was 'eliding' and I kept tripping over it even though it was only used once, I had never heard it before, so I decided to add that one in, even though what I really wanted to do was Dadaism. Dadaism is something that I have heard many times before, and it is possible that I was taught something about it before, but I don't remember it if I had, so I  decided it was a good word to choose. It refers to a certain movement in the art world that does not apply solely to film, but is often referenced as so. It was started by Tristan Tzara and others, and favored the montage or collage type of arts. Here is the dictionary entry I found. 
Dada |ˈdädä|

noun

an early 20th-century international movement in art, literature, music, and film, repudiating and mocking artistic and social conventions and emphasizing the illogical and absurd.

Also, here is a bit about the word eliding. 

elide |iˈlīd|

verb [ trans. ]

omit (a sound or syllable) when speaking : [as adj. ] ( elided) the indication of elided consonants or vowels.

join together; merge : whole periods of time are elided into a few seconds of screen time | [ intrans. ] the two things elided in his mind.

ORIGIN mid 16th cent. (in the sense [annul, do away with,] chiefly as a Scots legal term): from Latin elidere ‘crush out,’ from e- (variant of ex-) ‘out’ + laedere ‘to dash.’

USAGE The standard meaning of the verb elide is ‘omit,’ most frequently used as a term to describe the way that some sounds or syllables are dropped in speech, e.g., in contractions such as I'll or he's. The result of such omission (or elision) is that the two surrounding syllables are merged; this fact has given rise to a new sense, with the meaning ‘join together, merge,’ as in : the two things elided in his mind. This new sense is now common in general use.

1 comment:

  1. Like any "ism", Dadaism is a complex web of different ideas, works of art, individuals, and communities. Seen primarily as a cultural movement that began in the wake of World War I and peaked from 1916 to 1922, it involved visual arts, literature, poetry, manifestos, cultural theory, theater, and graphic design. Many of the artists associated with Dadaism concentrated on anti-war politics as well as attempts to redefine and rebel against the prevailing ideas and forms of art at the time. To this end, Dadaists created public gatherings, demonstrations, and works of art that departed from conventional art objects. The movement influenced many artists and movements, including surrealism, pop art, Fluxus, and punk rock - to name a few.

    ReplyDelete