Monday, November 2, 2009

Confusing Rum

This film followed a man and his daughter, through several months of their lives, up until her marriage. The movie was very confusing as far as time jumps went, and the 35 shots of rum were supposed to be something important, but we never got to see what happened with them. I think the best scene in the movie was when the boyfriend guy’s cat dies, and he just picks it up and throws it in the trash, along with its cat toys, and says he is going to move away because now the cat isn’t tying him there. I think this scene is sad but comedic at the same time, and show how unaffected by life he is. The only thing that really seems to keep him there is the girl, and she often appears uninterested in him, despite his advances. I think he is the most interesting character in the movie, if only because he is so elusive. There are a lot of strange scenes like that in the movie, and some are depressing like when the dad finds his friend dead on the train tracks. I really don’t see the point of this happening in the film, and it seems to be there just to shock. I understand it as far as the friends character goes, but it doesn’t seem to have much affect on the father character at all, one way or the other, and so I don’t see the point of it being in the film. The characters just walk through their lives, and nothing seems to penetrate them at all, and I suppose this may be the point of the film, although I doubt it. I really honestly can not understand what this film is trying to say, other than it merely being a story about a father and daughter relationship. I get the feeling it means to say more, but its just in another language to me. Without subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment