Sunday, November 1, 2009

Citizen Jane Success in Columbia

The second annual Citizen Jane Film Festival was a big success for Stephens College. Being on the documentary crew, I got to film the parties, the panels, the q &a and more. The panels were very interesting to follow as the filmmakers talked about how they do what they do.
One thing I learned from the panel that I didn’t really realize was how much money it costs to make these films. I knew about getting a budget was one of the hardest things to do, but I didn’t really quite grasp it until Georgina Lightning mentioned that her film has a 2 million dollar budget. We discussed how women have difficulties obtaining the funding for their films, as well as minority groups etc.
I would have liked to hear more about the distribution company. While I seek to work in production, I think it’s important to know more about the options after your film is made, otherwise what’s the point? I am learning about distribution while working for Range Life Entertainment and I’m learning there’s more to it than you would think.
One other thing I believe is worth mentioning is that the Stephens Film department knows how to throw a freaking party! I didn’t see anyone not enjoying themselves. It was certainly a spectacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment