Friday, January 21, 2011

A Double Take At Those Salty Communists


I'm only going to briefly revisit my last post "Salt of the Earth" today because I'm pretty sure I blogged myself out with my latest ramble of "My Way of Life is X rated."
I have got to say how impressed I am that such a film was created and released in a time where it seemed like the whole of America was hiding under their beds waiting to point fingers. The fact that anyone that was labeled communist was forever outcast was scary enough. It seemed like the creators of Salt of the Earth said "Screw it. We're F'd anyway, why don't we make a statement." It was awesome!

Controversial topics of the time such as communism, feminism, and racism were all involved in the process of this film. The heads of the film were pegged as communists and had to secretly pull together this movie before anyone powerful could bring them down. Watching the movie I was awed by the fact that they were able to accomplish so much with so many fighting for them to fail. Making a movie is hard enough!

I have this contemporary mentality of ignorance when it comes to generations that I was never alive in. I know that women like Susan B. Anthony were standing up and defending our rights, but I didn't visualize it in my head. I guess I gave the men more power than I should have. I just assumed that all films leading up to the third movement of feminism were patriarchal. I should know by now that one can never overestimate women. This film showed women step up and fight for what they thought was right.

Reading the various articles on Salt of the Earth I thought that it was cool that this film not only was created by people being prosecuted for being communists, but it also displayed equal rights for various races and women. I didn't get how truly cool this film was until I saw those women marching in circles with their signs, and in black and white! It made such a huge impact and I have to admit that I grinned with pride.

Altogether I was highly impressed with the film Salt of the Earth. The reading prepared me for what I should be looking for, but it wasn't until actually experiencing it that I realized just how progressive this film was for it's time. Everyone, put your hands together for Salt of the Earth.

1 comment:

  1. "I just assumed that all films leading up to the third movement of feminism were patriarchal. I should know by now that one can never overestimate women. This film showed women step up and fight for what they thought was right."
    Don't you think the film also proves that men (such as the director, writer, and producer) can create media that was feminist and pro-woman; and that caucasians can create work that celebrates and represents people of color. I find that hopeful too.

    ReplyDelete