Friday, January 14, 2011

Angelina Jolie couldn't handle this "Salt"

First off, here's a picture of my cat helping me take notes on the reading.


Reading the articles about Salt of the Earth makes me really eager to see it. I want to see what the controversy surrounding the film was really about. Much of the objection to the film had to do with the history of many of the members of the film's cast and crew. At the height of McCarthyism, much of the crew had been blacklisted by the studios. The US House Committee on Un-American Activities had already subpoenaed director Herbert J. Biberman and sentenced him to 6 months in jail. I was surprised to learn that all this happened before the film was made. Pauline Kael of Sight and Sound called Salt of the Earth an obvious Communist propaganda film. I really wonder what the film's reception would have been like if the blacklisting had not happened. Would the government, the reviewers, and potential film goers have objected to the film if they didn't already think of much of the crew as Communists? Considering the time period, I wouldn't be too surprised if they would have, but I look forward to seeing the film and getting a better perspective. After all, the film had to be edited secretly, so people were obviously objecting to it before the film was even finished! Most people probably didn't see it anyway because it was only shown in twelve theaters across the country! I really admire the filmmakers for going forth with a project they believed in despite the wide hatred they faced. I am not surprised that the film has gained popularity in more recent decades. After all, the best way to bring attention to a film seems to be to reject it. As I said before, I look forward to seeing this film so I can get a better perspective on the drama surrounding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment