Sunday, April 10, 2011

Siding and Films that Affect Us All

So we watched Blue Vinyl in class the other day and have been taking a look at Judith Helfand and her recent works and past work with Chicken and Egg productions.
My mother the other day told me she was thinking of residing their beautifully wood paneled house, I immediately jumped on the NO VINYL SIDING wagon and told her what I had learned, she was like "oh ok, I think your stepdad prefers aluminum any ways" but I was still wondering about aluminum. But while doing research on Blue Vinyl the movie I was surprised to find that the 31 factory owners in Italy were acquitted as opposed to having to suffer for their actions against people and the city of Venice.

In researching Judith and Working Films I came across more films that interested me, looked on Netflix and decided to watch a few. There is this film called No Impact Man that is based on this man and his families journey throughout a year with limiting their impact on the world. The reduce their carbon print, their electric use, their trash output, and their consumerism. It was an interesting film and I can see why Judith would choose to represent a film like that with her company. It had an impact on me, an has made me examine some things I need to change about my lifestyle. I think the main discussion in most of Judith's films that she makes and also represents seems to be, if you preach it then do it. It's the whole "We need to save the planet from global warming, but hold on let me just drive to the grocery store for a tomato in december." when we could all use a little local, plastic free, carbon energy free in our lives.

something else that I have learned about Judith has made me realize in the process that I have seen quite a bit of movies helped by Chicken and Egg and other companies she works with. Such as Freeheld, Walk into The Sea, and The Barber of Birmingham.

To sort of make a side note. I took a look at the Story of Stuff and the moment I went to the website I already knew everything about it. About 2 years ago or so I saw it on the interwebs and decided to take a look, it feels pretty awesome when you can look at yourself and see that the films you like to watch on your own time are films that teach you and make you look at the world with a perspective of change. The research I have been doing for the past few days about Judith and the productions she is involved in makes me happy and proud to be a future member of the documentary world.

No comments:

Post a Comment