Sunday, March 6, 2011

Violence Interrupted

     This film was fresh on the brain since I saw it earlier today at T/F. I was so impressed with this film. I understand why Polina made it a requirement for the class. It represents everything involving social change through film. I have seen Steve James' previous epic Hoop Dreams. I see many parallel's from that film to this one. Obviously not in the sense that the setting is completely different but the economic and social struggles the characters went through are similar to the struggles in The Interrupters. 
      I immensely enjoyed the film. I thought the characters were very striking and their pasts helped them in ways that other social workers could not. They related on a level with these teenagers in a way the police could not. They understood exactly what they were going through and were in a sense trying not to have these kids make the same mistakes they have. They did not want these kids to have similar regrets at their age.
     It was amazing to see the characters in the film along with the filmmakers at the Q&A. It was moving to stand up and show them that their work is meaningful. It is making a difference. I thought their answers were very insightful and it is great to know that Ceasefire is expanding to other major cities to neutralize the violence. I think their organization needed to be highlighted in this way to show attention to what they risk their lives in order to stop violence.
   One of the more striking scenes was when they showed the video of the killing. I believe they showed it three times. I felt that the point was made during the first showing of the killing. It was difficult to watch.
   I cannot believe what these filmmakers put themselves through to make this film. It was truly incredible. It showed how effective the program was by showing people who have made mistakes and are trying to do good where they have done wrong. It was a great screening and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment